The second suggestion for a "sweep" was a piece of white or light-colored laminate - that comes in 4' x 8' sheets. On my way home from the workshop, I stopped at Lowe's to see what they had and to price it. They did have a matte white sheet - but it was $42. I nixed that idea immediately and went home to research the photo paper sweep. What I found was lovely choices in paper color available in rolls that cost even more than the laminate. And paper creases and tears and would still have to be adhered to the brick in some way. Plus....it would be consumed over time.
So I sent my husband back to Lowe's to buy the laminate, thinking I could try it, and if it didn't work, I could return the thing. He took my station wagon and returned with this huge rolled up and taped sheet. I cut the tape and this MONSTER emerged! It seemed to have a life of its own! DH disappeared, of course, and I was left to tame the monster. My idea was to place it in the alcove, wedged between the front door and the brick side wall, bending gracefully at the floor to provide a white ground for mannequin. AND it was my intention to have a portable photo studio that could easily be set up and removed as needed. The concept was perfect; the execution was flawed!
|BEFORE - Not too bad!|
|AFTER - Better!|
So the next big deal was to try to cut it down myself. The Lowe's guy said it could be cut with a utility or Exacto knife and a straight edge. DH was golfing, so visiting daughter agreed to help me. I sought out the proper tools (we actually had everything!) and we set to work. I could barely make a scratch in the surface. So now....I had to wait for my husband. I wanted to be able to do this without his help, because he's on blood thinners, and so I'm reluctant to have him messing around with knives and other sharp objects (like monster laminate!)
But.....HE DID IT!!!! No bleeding (other than my earlier cuts and scrapes). The results were TWO pieces of laminate, one that's 4' x 6' and the other that's 4' x 2'. I could now place the larger piece wedged in the alcove as planned and use the smaller one on the floor to provide additional light. I don't need it to sweep because my pieces are photographed from the hips up. OMG!! IT WORKS!!! I need only show you some of the new photos and, where possible, some before and afters! Actually, if you look at the "Slideshow" at the top of this blog, you'll see many of the new photos. ENJOY!
I promise (NEXT TIME it's set up!) to take photos of the set-up BEFORE taking any photos! Still working on my photos for the website - but I am on my way!