Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Friday, March 14, 2014

Repurposing is my Middle Name!

As a designer and creator of all things yarny, felty, and unique, I relish the opportunity to redesign and repurpose my own and others' objects and work.  I am a thrift store hound, but I often find things to repurpose right in my own closet or on display in the cooperative gallery to which I belong, Port City Pottery & Fine Crafts.

Lately, I've been frogging many of my original pieces that haven't sold or that I particularly dislike now.  Some have yielded yarn to reuse; some have been total disasters.  One ended up in the trash can because I simply could NOT unravel the yarns.  In frustration after many hours, I took my trusty scissors and CUT the thing up the middle!

My latest experiment looks to be one that will work and could at least salvage some very lovely wet felt I made a long time ago and fashioned into small clutch bags (that were beautiful to look at but defied functionality!) - too small and too flimsy.  Here are the three I'm repurposing right now.

    

I'm knitting and felting some wools from my stash (always tricky!), attempting to create Sassy Sacs.  Knitted felt is elusive and capricious; it will take the form it likes best, based on the type of wool, the direction of the knitting, and the felting time.  I love that I never know what I'll get from the original size and shape out of the washing machine or Wonder Washer.  So far, the two I'm working on have become - NOT Sassy Sacs - but clutch bags.

I'm undoing the stitching of the hand felted bags and cutting the felt to work as an appliqué to the flap and around onto the back of the knitted/felted clutch.  Using coordinating wool and a felting needle, the piece is attached to the bag, making a very interesting looking (and functional!) bag.  Here is the first finished one: black knitted and felted wool body.  I left the embellishment on the flap and needle-felted the appliqué in freeform style.
And competed this one yesterday….!







No comments:

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic