Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Sunday, May 13, 2012

On Mother's Day!

If it weren't for my own mother and her favorite aunt, my great-aunt Joske, I would never have become the knitter/crocheter (aka fiber artist) that I am today1  Bless my mom whom I lost in 1987 and who taught me to crochet, and Aunt Joske, who died in her 90s in the early 2000s who taught me to knit.

Mom was an artist/painter/sculptor/mixed media/watercolor.  She was enormously talented but never experienced the kind of success she deserved.  My home is filled with memories of her....her paintings grace the walls of EVERY room; her sculpture is in my sight as I type.  She always insisted that I had an artistic bent, but I never believed her, mostly because I couldn't (and still can't) draw and have little interest in painting or clay.

What I seem to have acquired from her is the sense of color I exhibit in most of my wearable art.  And actually, I always had a flair for decorating, with color and texture being paramount.   Even today, my home is filled with not just her artwork, but that of my cousins (paintings), my mother-in-law (paintings, sculpture), my father-in-law (photography), my sister-in-law (multi-media), my husband (pottery, photography), and on and on.  My dad was in advertising and marketing....from him I think I acquired a business sense in promoting the arts.

But today I think mostly of my mom, a beautiful woman and person through and through.  My regret is that she didn't live to see MY success or experience her own.  I celebrate her every day!  I love you, Mom, and miss you!

No comments:

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic