And then there are the starts and stops and the projects that never end or get frogged because:
- I dislike the design
- I can't follow the pattern
- I dropped a stitch
- I can't evolve something unique from the pattern
- I have the wrong kind of yarn in stash and don't want to invest more in stash
- I can't prioritize my creative ideas now
- I'm too distracted
- Once I finish this project, what do I do next?
This reminds me of SOME of the "rules" for sabotaging one's job search (don't forget, I'm a career counselor). Substitute "ARTISTIC CREATIVITY" for "JOB SEARCH!"
REASONS WHY YOU MIGHT SABOTAGE
YOUR OWN JOB SEARCH!
- Fear of FAILURE
- Fear of REJECTION
- Fear of REALITY
- Fear of LOSING IDENTITY
- Fear of PAIN AND SACRIFICE
- Fear of COMMITMENT
- Fear of MAKING THE WRONG DECISION
- Fear of NOT BEING IN CONTROL
- Fear that IT WILL NEVER WORK
- Fear of SUCCESS
Do you see yourself within this list? Do you recognize your fears and face them squarely? First you need to be honest with yourself. Are you stuck or feeling stuck in your job or decision-making because you’re sabotaging your own efforts to change? Think about it!
Louise Giordano, M. Ed. 9/05
If you see yourself in some of this, please let me know - it might make me feel better!