Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Rag Bags!



I think I may be onto something!  No guarantee, of course, but I am hopeful!  After the debacle of the Rug Bud Bags that take up to a week to complete and for which I could never get what they are worth,  AND they've done a number on my hands............I've gone full-circle to return to the creation that serves as my logo!  It's the RAG BAG!




I've made several of these in the past.  The earlier ones were made of  hand-dyed batik, rayon, silk, and other rather heavier fabrics, cut on the bias, knotted together, and then knitted.  That process too was extremely hard on the hands - almost like the impossible Rug Bud Bags!  So the newer Rag Bags are made from vintage silk and silk-like fabric from vintage scarves and other thinner/finer thrift store garments.  






The construction is similar: knotted and knitted fronts!  However, the back is crocheted in coordinating fibers.  It is lined and then embellished with a strap, a vintage button or earring closure.  The feedback from my FB followers and friends has been very encouraging.  They will be available locally at Port City Pottery & Fine Crafts, aMuse Artisanal Finery, and directly from me.  






Each one is uniquely one-of-a-kind!  If you donate scarves to the cause, I can discount the price - or consider a trade!



1 comment:

Sheeprustler said...

They are lovely, Louise :)

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic