Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Friday, September 27, 2013

The Crescent Scarf!


Blue Denim Crescent Scarf
I've been searching and searching for a way to make a crescent-shaped scarf without short rows for a very long time.  I don't want to make a shawl; I want a workable and simple scarf without lace edging or any sort of decorative border.  I have no issue with short rows, but I kept thinking there had to be a way to do it with simple cast-ons at the beginning of rows.

I started by experimenting with starting with 20 stitches and adding two stitches (knit front and back) at the beginning and end of each row.  I ended up with a VERY long and much too shallow scarf that didn't drape properly.  I tried other variations on that theme, to no avail.

Finally I realized that you had to alter the number of cast-ons at the beginning (only) of each row, by starting with 3 for about 6 rows, then casting on 5 at the beginning of the next 6 rows and then casting on 8 at the beginning of all subsequent rows until reaching the desired length and depth.  SIMPLE!!!!  

I never really learned to cast on properly at the beginning of each row, except using the reverse loop method.  But I wanted something that looked like it was knitted on, and that's exactly what this does.   This tutorial proved to be perfect for me.  There are other ways, I believe, but this works effectively, and I could manage it without difficulty.  I knit Continental style, so this video worked especially well for me.  OK, so I can't find THAT tutorial, but there are many.  Try this one, or search on Pinterest for a variety of such tuts.

Lou Lou Crescent Scarf


No comments:

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic