Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Saturday, April 28, 2012

3KCBWDAY6 - Improving your Skill Set

Day 6 and I'm tired!  But I intend to complete this mission through tomorrow!  YAY!!!  I do love writing, so blogging is not a major chore for me, but every day???  Not going to happen! After this week, do not expect to see me blogging for another week!  I do have in mind to write the ENTIRE recent saga of the demise of my washing machine and its effects on my felting career!  BUT I DIGRESS!

I'm supposed to be blogging today about improving my skill set. Interesting topic for me.  I am a great believer in learning (been an educator all my life!), continuing ed and continually adding to my own skills.  To that end, I always WANT to take advantage of workshops, trainings, classes, You Tube videos, Pinterest photos that lead to instruction, and sometimes I do.  I like to be taught.  I've never liked just reading directions (I never could put together my kids' toys or teach them to play a new game! Usually they taught me!), so visual learning is important to me.

A recent experiment with short rows and 3 different kinds of felting!

Local trainings are limited.  Ones that require travel are difficult for me. I did win a most wonderful week-long workshop in France last year - the whole experience was beyond amazing! (Thank you, Krishenka and Lizze Hulme of Chateau Dumas!) While I loved it all, it wasn't related to knitting, crocheting, or felting.  For the most part, I cannot afford to participate in such workshops, although I always have a Jane Thornley one on my wish list.

So while it would be interesting to learn intarsia, or broomstick lace, or Tunisian crochet, I COULD do that online.  I use Pinterest to seek inspiration; I find new ideas, designs, styles, and then work to adapt them to my own style of knitting or crocheting or felting.  I've recently experimented with short rows and needle felting.  I recently purchased a 1975 book called "A New Look at Crochet" by Elyse and Mike Sommer that surprisingly has a great deal of contemporary designs and ideas for freeform crochet - my ideal!

I am frequently inspired by the work of MizzieMorawez aka FridaKahlo on Ravelry, Myra Wood, Prudence Mapstone, and Mardi Alamudeen.

So that's it for today!  My motto:  Keep on learning no matter how!  Happy Learning!

No comments:

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic