Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Let Us Never Forget!

I couldn't bring myself to write this yesterday when it would have been more appropriate, but the days following 9/11/2001 are etched in my memory as clearly as that day itself.  The memorials seem to get smaller these days as the horror of the event fades from some memories.  In my lifetime, this event - above all others, including the assassinations of JFK, MLK, RFK - holds the most horrific visual and auditory memories for me.  Almost 3000 people died that day - not just Americans - but people representing 80 countries.  Thousands more have died in the so-called wars against terror.  Are we safe now?

I spent much of the day involved with tennis - playing and watching - while working on felting some soaps and crocheting custom loopies.  The US Open provided some heart-wrenching struggles and upsets as well as diversion from the ominous reminiscence of 9/11.  Sadly missing at the Open in NYC was much mention of the day.  God bless Rafa Nadal for acknowledging it, and shame on Chaka Khan and the planners of the so-called tribute to those who perished nine years ago for the simply horrendous rendition of America the Beautiful.  Screeching off-key and changing the melody of this beautiful, patriotic song made me sick to my stomach.

Let us move beyond mosque-building disputes and Koran-burning discussions and focus on the true disaster of lives lost that afflicted our country nine years ago.  Let us NEVER forget!

1 comment:

Butterfly Works said...

Great post.......we must never forget those who lost their lives that tragic day.......

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic