Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Friday, October 16, 2009

Purse & Passion

My friend, Alane Savod, is one of the busiest people I know! She found time to help me last Sunday at the Arboretum show, and it always amazes me how involved she is in various fundraising and other non-profit endeavors.  ONE of her current projects is with the Lower Cape Fear YWCA, whose mission is "Empowering Women; Eliminating Racism."  To that end this year, she is one of the organizers of Purse & Passion, a wine and tea party to take place on November 12 at the St. Thomas Preservation Hall from 4 - 6 pm.





My selected bag - BEFORE!  The AFTER version will be posted later (once it's begun/done!)


She has succeeded in gathering 17 local artists and a score of gently-used purses to be uniquely decorated in an array of mediums by the artists for a silent auction.  We met at Alane's home on Wednesday night to be apprised of the details of the event, meet the Y's leadership, meet one another, and choose a purse to design.  What fun to meet all these gifted and creative women!  I knew most of the artists present (and even helped Alane find them), and there were others previously unknown to me.  Now I feel connected to this wonderfully rich artistic community with opportunities I never expected - what a thrill!  I am so sorry my mother didn't live to see me experience and fulfill my creative side!


Anyway.....the artists in attendance represented all manner of media:  Barbara Bear Jamison, Jan Wutkowski, Kristen Gibson, Barbara Scalia, Dianne Masi, Dory Maier, Clair Hartmann.  Others who couldn't make the meeting include: Lorna Boa, Linda Hartman, Carol Langer, Pauline Perdum, Gayle Tustin, Sybil West, Niki Hildebrand, and Teresa Rogers.  Of this group, Dianne, Dory, Linda, Carol, Pauline, and Sybil are members - with me - of Port City Pottery & Fine Crafts


So....I selected a black summery bag shaped like a feed-bag!  There were others - vinyl, leather, colors, fabric, and more!  I decided on this one so I could consider creating a freeform knit and crochet piece in multi-media to be affixed to the fabric of the bag with my signature crocheted chains. Well, that's my first idea - we'll see what happens.  I'll be posting my results and photos of others later.  


I believe in the Y's mission, and I always support Alane who has so willingly and graciously supported me in my artwork. This should be a fun event, and of course, I hope the Y benefits hugely from it and particularly from the efforts of theses local women artists.

No comments:

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic