Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Sunset River Marketplace

As of today, I am a new artist at the Sunset River Marketplace in Calabash, NC. SRM calls itself "A gallery of art & unique creations!" I like that! It's an interesting and HUGE place where many North and South Carolina artists display and sell their work. It is limited to NC and SC artists only. I've left 29 items there and hope that their tourist trade will show some interest in my knitted fiber art.

Calabash is very close (1/8 mile) to the South Carolina border, so it's close to Myrtle Beach and their tourism. Calabash prides itself as the "Seafood Capital of the World" because of the town's large amount of "Calabash-style" seafood restaurants, according to Wikipedia. I'm not yet sure what "Calabash-style" means, but I'll find out eventually. It is close to many beaches and so will attract a large number of vacationers.

While so close to North Myrtle Beach, I took the opportunity to stop at a LARGE yarn store, and oh boy, was that a treat! I limited myself to only several skeins of sale yarn, but I could have done MAJOR damage there. Reason prevailed, but now that I know it's only 15 minutes further from Sunset River Marketplace, I may have to stop there whenever I go there. It's called Knitting Up a Storm! The selection was terrific, and the people were very pleasant and helpful. Their website is not superb, but.....I was told they are working on it. I recommend it if visiting the area of NC/SC.

2 comments:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

I'm glad this worked for you. Sounds/looks like a wonderful venue for Scarf It Up's fiber miracles!

What a LARGE yarn store like? Wow! I've never been in one (Hobby Lobby DOES NOT count)...I don't know that I could show that kind of restraint. I guess you don't have to wait for trips to New England anymore :)

Live Music Junkie said...

I hope you do well at Sunset River Marketplace. It's a very popular gallery -- with both locals and visitors. It's one of the few galleries I've been to that features both "whimsical" items and serious art -- and manages to pull it off. Your fiber art should dovetail nicely with the Creative Exchange presentation coming up at Sunset River in April – Accessorizing with Art by Betsy Russell, who offers her own line of scarves, etc. along with hand crafted jewelry. The presentations are free; you just have to register ahead of time.

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic