Flickriver

scarfitup - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver

Sunday, February 24, 2008

What a Week!!!


The Good, the bad, and the ugly - all in one week!

THE GOOD:I've recently had two new Etsy customers who purchased items from me and then ordered additional custom accessories! The most recent purchased my Enchanted Autumn Sabrina scarf and now has custom ordered one of my Sac Sauvage bags in my favorite colors: black, browns, rust, orange, taupe). It's almost complete and will be ohotographed and viewable here and on ETSY later today.

MORE GOOD: My friend Carol of Sandfibers sent me a gorgeous pendant that she's created with a Lisa Peters button. Now I'm going to add fiber to it to make a necklace. I'm excited about that and look forward to that project soon.

Even more good: Carol also alerted me to Etsy Treasury West, which seems to have fewer Treasuries but they're easier to snag. I went to the link she sent and VOILA! I now have a current Treasury there, called "What's My Line?" It can be viewed there until Tuesday morning. But here it is for your viewing pleasure. It includes one of Sandfibers' cuffs!

AND MORE Good:We are having a very good month at Port City Pottery and Fine Crafts. Considering the economy and that February is typically a slow retail month, we are very pleased.

The Not so good: What's NOT selling, however, are my newest creations - the very long, crocheted neck wraps or belts with flower adornments. Hanging on a rack amongst the other fuller, more identifiable scarves, they are lost! They are UN-identifiable! No one knows what to do with them, so I'm not sure what to do about that. See this example from my Etsy Shop, called "Blooming." Because of the multiple photos, it's obvious that it's very versatile, but hanging as a long, straight rope off the rack, it looks downright UGLY! The gallery owners are amenable to reviewing this display, but these designs are most definitely a challenge.  So we are working together on a more effective display.

The Bad and Ugly - but I always like to look at problems as opportunities! I've lost my position as Career Adviser at a university, quite suddenly and sadly, for I loved the work and my clients. BUT......I'll now have more time to pursue my fiber art, add a new venue to my business Sunset River Marketplace in Calabash, NC - close to the SC border and Myrtle Beach, and return to some other activities I enjoy. I'll continue my private practice as a career counselor as well.

1 comment:

Carol Dean Sharpe said...

Funny, we both mention each other in our blogs today ;)

I'm IMing you an idea for your crochet pieces.

Fiber Arts Bloggers

IndiePublic